Saturday, August 16, 2008

Breaking Dawn Review - SPOILER ALERT!!!!

Before I start in about "Breaking Dawn" let me put out there some pretty INCREDIBLE news!!!! Lexicon just released that due to the postponement of the release of "Harry Potter 6" to next summer, they are capitalizing and moving up the premiere of "Twilight" to November 21st!!!!! YES YES YES!!!!! I'm sad we have to wait even longer for H.P. but OME...we get two extra weeks and an holiday weekend to watch "Twilight" over and over! Celebrate good times..COME ON!!!!


Okay, so after far too many days and weeks, and nights of falling asleep, I finally finished "Breaking Dawn"!!!! I am anxious to discuss this with all of you who have finished also! Honestly, I am completely torn on this one. I'm afraid that all my building up to loving this book Sooooo much left me open to disappointment. Not to say that there weren't many things that I totally loved in the book, but I found myself not LOVING it more than LOVING it. So finishing it is quite bittersweet for me!


So here it is...my likes/dislikes list of "Breaking Dawn"...


What I liked:


  • The Wedding! This was awesome! I loved that the entire theme was for Edward! Envisioning the entire event was fun also. I loved Alice! And my favorite part was of course Edward seeing Bella for the first time! I loved the gift from Charlie & Renee! And I loved Charlie seeing Bella! Charlie made me cry! Which brings me to my second favorite thing about the book...

  • Charlie! I loved him throughout the entire book! I cried more with his parts of the book than even Edward! I found him very touching and I loved that he didn't have to be broken hearted about Bella "dying!" I also loved that Charlie got a happy ending! Poor guy deserved one!

  • The Honeymoon! I loved every minute of it! I loved the long boat ride out to Esme's Island, and the vision of walking up to the cottage. It was truly written out of a dream-honeymoon come true. And I cracked up over Bella trying to decide which of the Intimate Lingerie that Alice had packed for her to wear for their first night. I nearly died with the vision of Edward waiting in the water for Bella! OME! I loved Edward's concern for her, but also fighting his own wants and needs! Whew! Too much ecstasy for me..NOT!

  • Edward Saving Bella! I could just picture in my mind the fierceness and determination in Edward to save her! He was methodical and full of passion and he was not going to lose her. It was like the scene with James all over again! I loved it! I love him! (Are you sure Nat? Really? Love Edward? No one would ever guess!)

  • Seth! I loved this little wolf! I loved his devotion to the Cullen's, especially Edward, and his complete loyalty to Jacob! He was a great part of this book!

  • Carlisle! I loved that he had a bigger part in this book. I loved his touching conversation with Jacob on the stairs. I loved that Jacob loved him! I loved the deep interactions between him and Edward. And I loved him dismissing Aro at the end!

  • The Cottage! I loved Edward's and Bella's home. I want so much for it to be a real place! I want to go there! And I want the closet and clothes that come with it.

  • Bella's "Awakening" outfit! I loved that Alice had dressed her in a blue satin dress. LOL!

  • Bella Sharing her mind with Edward! What a gift! He finally got to see inside her head! He finally got to see and feel truly how much she did love him, and that he was worthy of her love! Tear tear tear!

  • Bantering between Jacob & Rosalie! Hilarious! I loved every interaction between these two...from her bringing him food in a bowl that she made herself with the work "Fido" etched on the side...to him chucking that very bowl at the back side of her head! Seriously! That was great!

  • And as much as it dismays me to say this...I loved Jacob! At first I was completely put off that he had an entire section of the book dedicated to his POV. But actually, I ended up loving it. I loved the humor he brought to all the situations and I loved his story! I loved when he and Bella FINALLY stopped pining over one another! (I had had enough of that!)

  • So obviously...I loved that finally IMPRINTED on someone! Good grief! I'll say more about the WHO later!

  • Overall...I enjoyed Bella as a vampire! I loved her first trip in the woods with Edward and flying over the river and trees. I loved that she could control her hunger (which I expected all along of her). And of course, I loved her undying infatuation with Edward! (Not that would be difficult). I loved her awakening! It was exactly what I had hoped for! (YES, I have always wanted Bella to be turned! Sorry!)

  • Esme feeding the wolves and offering them a Home! I seriously was crying hard at this! Go figure!

  • Listening to "Breaking Dawn" on Audio vs. Reading it! I was NOT liking the book until I started over and listened to it instead. I am hoping now that I've heard it, that reading it again when I revamp the book will be a better experience!

  • Favorite Edward Moments: Some I've already mentioned, Seeing Bella at the wedding as she came into view; Him stabbing his venom directly into Bella's heart and screaming at Jacob that she is NOT going to die!; Him standing naked in the ocean with the full moon shining on his sparkling white skin, waiting for Bella; Him getting dressed after their "first" time in the cottage; His broken heart after Alice left; The cars he bought for Bella; His anguish over Bella's pain; and Feathers!

What I didn't like:



  • The Wedding! Yes, I know that I said I loved it...but I also felt very strongly that it was ruined by the appearance of Jacob. That realllly pissed me off. It took away from the perfect event happening. I immensely disliked the fact that it took Bella away from Edward and made her start pining over Jacob again. That whole interaction could have happened before the big day if you ask me. That way the day could have been all bliss!

  • The lack of Edward! Once again, I felt like Edward was lost in the shadow of Jacob. Now, yes, I did say that I loved Jacob in this book, but come on...we have all fallen in love with this series, okay, well MOST of us have fallen in love with this series because of EDWARD. I felt like SM just trumped him way too much in this book. I wanted more...much much more!

  • Alice! Or I should say what SM did to her in the book! I really disliked this. Once again I felt like one of the best characters was completely trumped by a character that we didn't know, and one that we didn't necessarily love with Renesme blocking her and silencing her, and Rosalie taking her role as "BFF" and protector of Bella. Didn't like that at all! And her "big scheme" at the end...nope, didn't like that either! I'm glad she came back, but it could have been done so much better!

  • The lack of all the characters that we love! With the exception of Carlisle getting his fair share of time in the spotlight, everyone else just kind of disappeared throughout the book. Emmet for one! Not nearly enough of him! He was just a sidekick throughout the entire book. The wolf pack...all but disappeared at the end! Leah! We finally get to see her side of being a "Shape-shifter" and her finally being accepted and she just disappears. She deserved a better ending! Seth...my favorite wolf, where did he go? We'll never know!

  • Rosalie and Jacob parenting! I mean if we're going to be forced to deal with the whole half-breed situation, then why not let us see Edward and Bella bond more with her. They always seemed to be an afterthought in the entire scenario. I am sure that SM was trying to fulfill Rosalie's need to be a mother, but it was just too weird for me. And why didn't Edward get more time with this kid??? He had existed for nearly 100 years thinking he would never be a father and now he is...and again, their connection, I THOUGHT, was underwhelming at best. The only believable tender moment was when Bella said good-bye to Renesme and Jacob understood what he had to do. The look on Edward's face and Reneseme's and Jacob's as they all knew what was coming was great and touching!

  • The REAL Werewolves! O brother! Totally unnecessary! Shape-Shift this!!!!

  • Oh Reneseme, Nessie, or whatever... This whole thing just didn't work for me. I tried! I really really tried. In fact, when I first realized that Bella was pregnant, and I thought of the opening Preface where she discusses having to be killed by something that she loved so much...I craved for an emotional demise of some sort. I had a first thought that it was going to represent a battle between her and Jacob, but then I realized it was between her and her child...but nothing came of that! The entire pregnancy was way too much like that awesome 80's mini-series "V"! Remember the alien twins! HA HA HA! Yeah, that's all I could envision in my head. So I never became emotionally tied to the baby. I bawled my eyes out when the little green alien baby died. But never shed one tear over NESSIE!

  • The Volturi Battle! OMH! This was the most frustrating part of the whole book for me. I felt like we had gone through a lot to Live through the birth...to live through the imprinting on Reneseme...and so on and so on! But why did we not get to have a battle??? It was SO anti-climatic! Why all the build up of training Bella? Why the build up of hatred between the various Cullen's and the Volturi! Why didn't we get to see any of it come to fruition! I mean I loved the battle between Edward and Victoria in "Eclipse". We were not left hanging in that book...why do that to us in the FINAL episode of the series! I was sooo disappointed! It thought it was awful! It turned way to preachy instead of some kick-butt Vampire battle! I desperately wanted to see Edward take on Demitri, Bella take on Jane, and so on! And for the love...why didn't that annoying ARO die! I'm with the Romanians...completely disappointing!

  • Jacob imprinting on Reneseme...Well I'm going to have to label this as my one "on-the-fence" topics. I am thrilled that he finally imprinted on someone and found his happiness. I'm just not so sure about it being Reneseme. I mean I loved how he protected her, and how she liked biting him...but I think that SM led us to believe that something was happening between him and Leah...and then NOTHING. So I'm torn on this whole thing.

  • And finally, the ONE thing I disliked out of the entire book...Edward's whole Sharing Bella idea! Come on Eddie! I totally did not buy into that whole thing! I was so disappointed! Like I don't have enough Polygamy in my life! Snap out of it Edward!

So that's it...that's my list/review! Overall I enjoyed it, just for the love of the entire series! It definitely is not my favorite, "Twilight" and "Eclipse" will remain in that category forever. But I did like enough because in the end I got what I wanted, Bella with Edward, and Bella as a vampire. I just wish SM had taken us all there in a few different routes! Oh well, there is always FanFics!

Well Post away... I can't wait to hear/read what you all think as well! (I'll be disappointed if you don't!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Nat! I loved your review even though I think I loved the book to every extent. But thank you so so so much for NOT saying it was too raunchy! Ugh! I have heard that from so many people and it just makes me want to SMACK them! I think I am with you about Renesmee though. She's a little creepy. And come on, Renesmee?! What sort of name is that!
And I will admit thinking that Renesmee and Jacob imprinting on her was just a lame way out for Stephenie Meyer to get herself out of the mess of Jacob and Bella. But who knows?
Oh and weren't the vampires awesome though! I loved Benjamin and Garret!!! I could read a whole book about either of them! But you are right when you say that our favorite characters didn't get enough of the story! I missed
Alice and Esme and Emmett!!! I could have killed Rosalie! I hate that girl!
And what ever happened to Renee!? Poor Renee is pretty much pushed out of the book. I didn't like that.
But I will admit, I liked the end. I really did. Sure, it could have used a little more fight and a little less peace, but I was pleased. I thought the Romanians were hilarious! Ha ha ha!

Anyways!!! I am going to do my own review on Breaking Dawn on my blog in the next few days so come read it!
Love Ya!
Caitlin